Thursday, April 1, 2010

HLAH - SFBH, Wellington March 19, 2010

Another ridiculous local show with too many bands. Three support bands is too much when people are really only paying to see the headliner.

I caught the last song of Beastwars because I'd paid about an hour after the doors opened so took off and watched the rugby league game to the end. The song I heard sounded like it was lifted from the heavier spectrum of the 90's Seattle sound.

A band started playing in the corner opposite the stage. They were called Rackets and soundwise fell somewhere between Green Day, Fugazi and The Buzzcocks. The three piece swapped instruments a few time and threw a lot of T-shirts into the crowd.

Due to Rackets not playing on the stage, Gaywyre were able to start soon after the previous band had finished playing. The band played an energertic set of old school 80's metal with a NWOBM feel but really from what I saw of Beastwars and the audience reaction they would have been the better to have before the headliners.

Head Like a Hole came on at midnight and went down a treat. The last time I remember seeing them was, soon after I left home in the early nineties, during their playing naked period. Their early industrial was represented through tracks like "Nevermind Today", "Fish Across Face", "Spanish Goat Dancer" and newer hard rock material with tracks like "Corndog", "Wet Rubber" and "Comfortably Shagged". Booga dedicated their version of Bruce Springsteen's "I'm on Fire" to the ladies. I turned round and looked at the barstaff and saw them all singing along. One song featured a young horn section who came on and played well for one song then left. The encore included "Hootnanny". Nakendness was not delivered and the band are reputed to have given up narcotics however the noise was still there.

Personal live favourite, "Nevermind Today" was the first song HLAH ever wrote. Here's the video.



The Devil Makes Work for Idle Hands

1 comment:

YourZenMine said...

Damn, there's a name I haven't heard in a long time - I think I saw these guys at a show in Canberra in the mid-90s. I also remember having a cassette of theirs but for the life can't recall its name.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, mate.

YourZ

Beastwars - IV

After over a year off for various reasons, we have returned solely because we wanted to review the new Beastwars album. I really w...